We hear it all the time, "Forgive and forget."
It's practically pounded into our heads throughout our growing up years.
So why is it that most of us have such a hard time of it?
Sometimes forgiving people is the hardest thing we ever have to do.
I know I've been the biggest hypocrite at times, but I've been trying to do better.
The weird part about forgiveness is...sometimes the other person isn't the hardest person to forgive.
It's YOURSELF.
Why is that??? I wish I had the answer, but unfortunately I don't.
All I know is that sometimes we have to try our hardest to accept what we've done and leave the rest up to the only man who truly knows what we're going through.
And the crappy part about this whole process in my life right now is that I'm not the one handing out the forgiveness.
I hurt someone and I'm frantically back-pedalling to try and make things right.
I found this quote today:
"You can't undo anything you've already done, but you can face up to it. You can tell the truth. You can seek forgiveness. And then let God do the rest."
Gosh, ain't that the truth. I feel awful about the way I've acted recently,
but I know I can't undo what I've already done.
The damage is done.
The die is cast.
You can't un-ring a bell.
No one can make a new beginning, but you can start now and make a new ending.
That's what I'm trying to do. I'm starting today and making a better me.
I'm going to stop saying and doing hurtful things.
I'm going to strive to be happy. No matter what.
And I'm going to forgive like the Savior commanded us to:
"Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another;for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.
And ye ought to say in your hearts-let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds."
I hope that one day the person I've hurt will be able to forgive me, but until then, a very good friend of mine said, "You've done all that you can do and your conscience is clear. There's nothing more you can do, right?"
Right.
February 18th 2012
14 years ago
You're a good person. AND you get better every day. That's why we're here. To learn from our mistakes and try to do better.
ReplyDeleteD&C 64:9-11
ReplyDelete