Sunday, August 8, 2010

Learn of Me

Today in Sacrament Meeting one of my friends was in charge of the musical selection. When they announced it from the pulpit she looked a little surprised, like she forgot about it...how she can just get up there and play a song flawlessly (and INCREDIBLY beautifully) is a mystery to me. Anyway, she played Janice Kapp Perry's Learn of Me. The words came to my mind as she played and I knew she chose to play that song for me. Maybe not knowingly, but for me.

I walk today along the path of life.
No more a child protected from the strife.
Now I must face whatever foes may comes
And fight with strength until the battle's won.

I trembling fear the task is far to great,
On every side the Tempter lies in wait.
What can I do? I plead to Him above,
Then hear Him speak these gentle words of love:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I will give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I am Jesus Christ.

When I was yet a child so clean and pure,
I doubted not and knew God's love was sure.
I knew He lived for every bird and tree,
By breath and leaf, were witnesses to me.

But now the world would fill my mind with doubt,
And so my soul, in search of truth cries out.
How may I know? I plead to Him above
Then I recall these gentle words of love:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I will give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I am Jesus Christ.

My life is blessed to have His sacred word,
To feel His love and know my prayers are heard.
With in my soul his light has found a place,
It leads the way as I receive His grace.

The peace I feel, my joy in sacred things,
Surpasses all the world could ever bring.
With humble heart I take a valiant stand.
I will obey this gentle sweet command:

Learn of me and listen to my words,
Walk in the meekness of my light
And I shall give you peace,
My love will never cease,
For I am Jesus Christ.





What comforting words for a girl who is absolutely terrified about going out into the real world on her own next Monday...


I can't tell you how many times I have questioned my own strength...not in the gospel, but in myself. I think about having to go out on this new path of life where I will have to face the foes on my own and it scares me stiff. But this song gave me my answer. "Learn of me, and listen to my words. Walk in the meekness of my light and I shall give you peace, my love will never cease, for I am Jesus Christ."


I don't know why I'm so scared. I have a mom and a dad 45 minutes in one direction and a sister, a brother-in-law, 2 brothers, and a sister-in-law within an hour in the other direction...and I have a Heavenly Father with me at all times, and in all things, and in all places. I now know that I just need to take the advice given in Proverbs 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths."


I will sincerely need Him on this new path I'm taking, but He will give me peace and His love will never cease, for He is Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. P.S. You also have another sister....she'll be 45 minutes away right along with Mom and Dad, gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that after I posted this...sorry dear little sister of mine!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...